SoCal Junior Olympic Qualifiers and Y-12
Colina Middle School - Gymnasium
1500 E Hillcrest Dr, Thousand Oaks, CA 91362 US
Southern California Division qualifiers for Junior Olympics (Junior and Cadet events) and open Y-12 events - payment for pre-registration is required.
A Southern California Division hosted event. All grounded strips. All professional referees.
- Posted times are preliminary. They may be adjusted based on pre-registration on AskFred. Please check AskFred on 12/9/2023 to see if your event times have changed.
- Bring your USA Fencing ID and, if not age-verified, proof of age (see below)
Registration & Entry Fees
The first 8 fencers (and parents/siblings) who email email@example.com to help setup will have their entry fees waived. Setup starts at 7:00 AM on 12/10/2023.
- Pre-registration on AskFred, closing on Thursday, December 7th at 11:59PM (Pacific): $45 per event
- Registrations that are unpaid as of Thursday, December 7th at 11:59PM (Pacific) will be removed
- At the door: $90 per event (credit card and Zelle accepted)
- Junior: birth year 2004-2010
- Cadet: birth year 2007-2010 (or on Y-14 national points list)
- Y-12: birth year 2011-2014 (or on Y-10 national points list)
All fencers who are not Age Verified on their USA membership MUST provide proof of age (birth certificate, passport) at check-in. We recommend all fencers complete USA Fencing’s age verification process at least one week prior to the tournament.
National Qualifying Events
The Junior and Cadet events are qualifiers to the Junior Olympics (JO’s). These events are restricted to:
- Current members of the Southern California Division of USA Fencing
- US Citizens or Permanent Residents
- If you are already pre-qualified to compete in the JO’s by regional or national points, you do not have to compete in this tournament.
- Only fencers who are pre-qualified by national points are skipped in determining qualifiers from this event.
- For complete qualifying and appeal information, please refer to the Athlete Handbook which can be downloaded from the USA Fencing website.
- This seasons JO’s will be held in Charlotte, NC on February 16-19, 2024
The Y-12 events are open to fencers who are members of any USA Fencing division, and any nationality.
Close of Pre-Registration
At close of pre-registration on Thursday, December 7th 11:59PM (Pacific)
- Incomplete or unpaid pre-registrations will be deleted.
- Junior and Cadet events with fewer than 4 fencers will be cancelled.
- Those pre-registered fencers will qualify for JO’s and be eligible for a refund.
- Y-12 events with fewer than 6 fencers will be combined into a Mixed event. Y-12 fencers may choose to withdraw and be eligible for a refund if they would rather not fence in a Mixed event.
- If the Mixed event would also have fewer than 6 fencers, the event will be cancelled and the pre-registered fencers will be eligible for a refund.
All events: One round of pools, 100%* promoted to direct elimination.
*may be adjusted to less than 100% if required, this has never been required.
Medals are awarded to the top 3 places in all events, including ties for 3rd place.
For Cadet fencers who register for both the Junior and Cadet events:
- If you qualify for Junior JO’s you are automatically qualified for Cadet JO’s (in the same weapon)
- If you qualify at this event and choose to withdraw from the Cadet event of the same weapon, prior to the close of registration for the Cadet event, you are eligible for a refund of fees for the Cadet event. Please notify check-in in a timely manner.
Please "Message the Organizer" with any questions
FOC (Head referee): Greg Schiller
Bout Committee: Eric Speicher
Organizer: Jim Beihold
If you would like to be considered to referee for this or other Southern California Division hosted events, please send us a message via AskFred.